Sunday, June 2, 2013

Review: TWSBI Diamond 580 1.1mm Stub Italic


I know it has been a long time since I have put out a review, but awhile ago I purchased my TWSBI Diamond 580 from Anderson Pens, and ever since we have be inseparable. It is my first "major fountain pen", so it's kind of a big deal. I'm so excited!


The pen came in a cardboard box stamped with a TWSBI logo. When you open the cardboard box, there is another plastic (I think) box which holds the pen. This packaging kind of reminds me packaging from the Apple Store. 


The box contains: The pen, a wrench for taking the pen apart, silicone grease for greasing the Piston, and two sets of directions. This pen does have a piston filling mechanism, and although it is my first time using a piston, It was VERY easy. I have not yet greased the piston or taken the pen apart with the wrench, so when the ink runs out, I will have to see how that goes. 


The directions do explain how to disassemble the pen, so hopefully these will help when the time comes. . .

Beauty.
The pen itself is really a nice pen. It is a clear demonstrator body, and it feels very solid. I do have very small hands, so it is a tiny bit heavy, but that is just for my ridiculously small hands. Not a big problem for me. But, one thing I would like is for the pen to be post- able  It does not post comfortably, and it makes the pen very top heavy. It is not a big problem for me, but for others it might be.



The pen had very minimal design details, except for the TWSBI logo on the tip of the cap, and "Diamond 580" on the bottom of the cap. Otherwise, there is not much intricate design. 



For the nib, I chose a 1.1 mm, because I wanted a writable yet also calligraphish nib. It is VERY smooth and juicy, and a really nice nib. The design on the nib is pretty minimal, just a bit of swirly design, but not much else. I really like this nib. 

excuse my terrible attempt at drawing a TWSBI logo. . . 
This pen writes amazing. It is so smooth and juicy, and it just plain makes me happy. I inked it up with some J. Herbin Bleu Myosotis, and it wrote perfectly right out of the box. I was very excited, because I have never had a fountain pen that has written as well as this one. The only minor issue I have is that it will occasionally skip a bit. But, to me it is not a huge problem that would be a decision point over buying the pen or not.


Overall, I am in love with this pen. It is very well-made, very easy to use (so far), very beautiful, and it writes very well. I am so glad I bought this pen, because now I just can't think about life without it (maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration. . . ) But, this pen is worth it, and fairly inexpensive compared to most good-quality fountain pens. Definitely a pen to consider buying.

Anderson Pens- $55.00
Goulet Pens- $55.00
Keep in mind that this pen is a limited edition, and will only be available this year. 

All products used in this review were purchased with my own money, and I was not paid to write this review. 








4 comments:

  1. Woohoo!! Love that nib. Did you try giving it a flush with some dilute dish soap + water? That might take care of the skipping issue for ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A TWSBI of some sort is on my wish list. I have heard and seen so much about them, I know I need one, it's just a matter of time. Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You won't need to use those tools that come with it for a long time, possibly years if you use the pen daily. There is no dis-assembly required for changing inks and cleaning the pen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you like the pen! I second the comment that you shouldn't feel like you should need to take this pen apart. While I understand and appreciate what TWSBI has done by suppling a tool and directions for disassembly, I think this causes a lot of unnecessary potential for damage to the pen. Just flush with water if you're going to change inks. I've heard many a story of people unable to get their pen back together once they took it apart.

    Also, the good news is it is not a limited edition. The only reason they will stop making it is if they make improvements to the pen, ala 530 to 540 to 580.

    Cheers!
    Brian

    ReplyDelete